Subject: Re: NetBSD reliability and capabilities
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Clymer <chris@theconceited.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2005 14:08:21
You haven't stated what your device is actually doing, so perhaps there are
other advantages to using NBSD.  However, it sounds like a chief part of it
is an embedded webserver.

It seems somewhat foolish to me to have a device you wish 100% uptime on run a
webserver you expect heavy load on in an emulation mode, when you've already
got things ready to go with it in the native OS.

Without knowing more, it seems logical to either use a NetBSD-native
webserver, or else to use Linux.

You should use the best tool for the job, not the one that you personally
prefer, especially for a product that a lot of other people(paying
customers!) are going to be using.  If the customers prefer Linux, are
already using the product primarily in Linux, and you are running it in NBSD
only in emulation mode, then logically Linux is the best tool for the job.

On the other hand, there are certainly embedded products out there running
NetBSD.  That happened to be the right tool for the job in those cases.