Subject: Re: Replace system Postfix
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/01/2005 07:13:24
> framework. [why both sendmail _and_ postfix have to be in the base
> system eludes me, anyways..]

Years ago, when postfix was added, I thought that the rationale was
that it was hoped to replace sendmail (why? I don't know offhand);
including both, I read, was an evaluation period.  I do not know if
it was an official NetBSD developer who said that, much less if it
was an official NetBSD plan/policy/line/whatever.

Instead of de-emphasizing sendmail, however, it has now been made to
run by default in order to process daily mail from /etc/daily, etc.

IMHO, even one mailer is too much.  We can get those guys from pkgsrc.
If we are not going to assume a full-blown mail server, do we really
need much sophistication for nightly mail?  I'd say: Forget about
aliases, filtering, and friends.  All mail is local to local.  All
mail is correctly formatted.  All system mailboxes are mbox.  (^&
It should be comparatively simple to deliver the mail in that case.
If those assumptions are wrong, then the user can go to pkgsrc and
pick the mailer of their dreams.

While I would question the point of including 1 full mailer, I am
baffled at the decision to include *two*.