Subject: Re: which pci wlan adapter?
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2005 10:09:31
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Dieter Baron wrote:

> could someone with more clue than me please tell me which of the
> following PCI WLAN adapters is supported on NetBSD 2.0 (i386) in
> hostap mode?
>
> ASUS WL-138G
> Surecom EP- 9321-gp

I can't comment on these.

> D-Link DWL-510
> D-Link DWL-520+ Airplus
> Linksys WMP11

Depends on the chipset.  D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear are all *notorious*
for changing the chipset without changing the model number.  Look at each
company's website for "support" and see how many "versions" of each card are
listed.  Each "version" of the product reflects a different chipset.

That given, I can't comment on specific models except to say that the
Broadcom-based versions of these cards won't be recognized by NetBSD at all,
as they have Winblows binary-only drivers.  (Cue my loathsome attitude
toward Broadcom NDAs.)

I think *some* versions of the above might use the ADMtek chip, which should
work.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>