Subject: Re: 760N
To: None <ron.carter@rbc.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@bsdsystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2005 16:37:27
Describe the laptop for me.  I assume it came with a CD drive?  Do you
also have an internal or external floppy drive?

As you've probably noticed, the little SOB won't boot from the CD drive --
at least, mine never did.  I found a 550(?) with an internal floppy drive
that would also fit in the 760.  So I swapped out the cd drive for the
floppy and booted on the pair of install diskettes.  Once the system was
up, I let it do all the partitioning and such but, of course, I couldn't
actually install anything because it was all on the CD, and I couldn't get
to it.  So I mounted up one of the boot diskettes (I can't remember if it
was disk A or B ... probably A), and copied the kernel to wd0a.  Then I
shutdown the laptop, pulled the floppy drive, reinstalled the cd drive,
and booted it up again.  Since the kernel on wd0a was the install kernel,
it booted right into sysinst.  Not exactly sure why this worked, but I
assumed all the RAM drive stuff was incorporated in the kernel file.
Anyway, once you get to this point, it's a snap to do the rest of the
install.

Since then, I've found that it's much easier if you have an external
floppy drive, or at least have an old 3com PCMCIA NIC so you can install
from the network.

I hope you don't mind, but I've CC'd this to the users list so it'll be in
the archives for the next guy.

Good luck ... let me know how it worked for you.

---
  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ Small Business Computer Support
 \.\   /./ in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area
    \@/    http://www.bsdsystems.com/support/