Subject: Re: XFS/AdvFS type for Netbsd
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2005 16:52:22
[ On Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 19:54:39 (+0100), Hauke Fath wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: XFS/AdvFS type for Netbsd
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:21:47 -0800 Aaron J. Grier wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:30:59PM +0300, Vsevolod Stakhov wrote:
> > > It seems that there are only commercial sollutions, for example JFS
> > > for NetBSD by wasabisystems.com.
> >
> > LFS is in-tree.
>
> There is _zero_ support for lfs in the installer: No newfs_lfs, no
> mount_lfs, no fsck_lfs, no kernel support. No emergency access from a
> bootable CDROM.

Well, nothing forces anyone to use LFS for the root (and /usr)
filesystem just because one uses LFS for some other filesystem.  :-)

(Nothing forces anyone to use the stock offical TNF-sanctioned ISO for
their "rescue" CDs either! :-)

I think the question most folks wonder about with respect to using LFS
in production has more to do with its robustness, stability, and
integrity, rather than whether or not all the nooks and crannies in all
the filesystem related tools are all 100% filled in with all the
possible LFS support features one could ever imagine wanting.

(personally I'd be more inclined to experiment with XFS than with LFS,
if of course XFS were available in the base system -- LFS always seemed
like ever so much of a research toy while XFS has definitely proven
itself in heavy production use)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>