Subject: Re: XFS/AdvFS type for Netbsd
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2005 10:25:47
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 @ 16:30 +0300, Vsevolod Stakhov said:

> Ong Beng Hui wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is there a Filesystem ported to Netbsd that support
> | Journaling, Online Growth and backup ?
>
> It seems that there are only commercial sollutions, for example JFS for
> NetBSD by wasabisystems.com. I think that porting some journaling file
> systems to NetBSD will be good as soft-updates doesn't guarantee file
> system integrity after system crash. Unlike soft-updates journaling does
> so and it is critical for large file systems. A big problem of porting
> such file systems is gpl'ed code and it is not a good idea to have such
> code in BSD licensed kernel.

Don't Most of the the journaled filesystems have non-GPL licenses?

I believe that SGI's XFS and IBM's JFS have non-GPL licenses.

For most purposes, I'm happy with ffs, but XFS is also very nice,
especially on really large filesystems.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]