Subject: Re: JAVA on MP, current pgsql
To: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2005 11:48:30
--Apple-Mail-6--916508211

On 20-Jan-05, at 11:02 AM, Stefan Schumacher wrote:

> Also sprach Andreas Drewke (andreas_dr@gmx.de)
>
>> Second thing ist that the current postgresql 7.4.6 server from pkgsrc
>> seems to
>> have problems too. At some point (didnt investigate it further) it
>> starts to
>> eat 100% cpu and never gets out of this state again.
>>
>> Note: here it doesnt matter if you got a i386-uni or i386-mp system.
>>
>> Like the beatles used to sing ... help!
>>
>> Any sugesstions? Can somebody confirm both problems?
>
> I could reproduce that PostgreSQL Problem on a machine at work with
> 2.0 and there is another thread about that going on.
>
> Upgrade to the yesterday released PostgreSQL 8, it builds out of the
> box and offers some nice new features like Savepoints, Tablespace
> and Point-In-Time Recovery :-) or try NetBSD current.
>
> I had no problems with PostgreSQL RC5 on 2.99.10

To summarize, with 2.0RC2/3 through to 2.0.1, postgresql 7.3 and 7.4
will go into a loop after somewhere between 5 minutes and 5 hours if it
is regularly running multiple queries in parallel.

I moved my production DB to a -current machine with Postgresql 7.4
where the problem does not occur.

See the threads "Re: PostgreSQL taking a *lot* of CPU time." on
netbsd-help and "Problem with gcore and permissions" in tech-kern.

Note that the problem has not been fixed by the pullup in ticket #903
(sysv_sem.c rev 1.53.4.1).

--
	aew

--Apple-Mail-6--916508211