Subject: pkgsrc versions (was Re: postfix / sasl / tls - pkgsrc 2004Q4)
To: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2005 16:57:49
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:39:42AM -0500, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:26:15AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:53:01PM +0100, Asmodehn Shade wrote:
> > > Anyway thank you all for your answers !
> > > So I'm going to switch to HEAD, and stop building on the next stable
> > > branch... ;) should be 2005Q1.
> >
> > You could also sync your pkgsrc/mail/postfix directory to HEAD and keep
> > the rest on 2004Q4.  That is possible with CVS.
>
> I would not recommend that: there tend to be large changes in pkgsrc/mk,
> and the per-package Makefile's may depend on those changes (and old ones
> may not work with the changes).  In general, pkgsrc should be considered
> a single piece of software, that needs to be upgraded as a whole.

Ok, thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  I used this to have the stable
pkgsrc tree "in general" but have up-to-date firefox, icewm, ...

So either I'll have to stick to the latest stable, or move entirely to
HEAD.

Another solution may be to maintain two independent pkgsrc trees on my
system: one 2004Q4 and one HEAD.  But can they use the same /var/db/pkg
and /usr/pkg trees?

GH

--
:wq