Subject: Re: File Size Limitations
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/19/2005 22:14:50
> > oh - also:
> >
> > # ls -sl big
> > 128 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  16492674416641 Jan 19 21:23 big
> >
> > or about 15TB with FFSv1 and 1k fragments.
>
> I thought FFSv1 used 32-bit fragment numbers. Apparently it doesn't?

It does, but limits the size of the filesystem, not the size of a file.
The max file size is limited by the triple-indirect blocks, file 'big'
only uses 128 disk sectors.
I THINK that doubling the fs block size will lead to a 16 fold increase
the the maximum size of a file.

> Also http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#large-filesystems shows
> something different.

No that is talking about filesystem size, not file size.
OTOH that table isn't right either, you can't get 4TB because the disklabel
stops you defining a disk partition that size.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk