Subject: Re: fs corruption with raidframe (again)
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2005 21:00:18
Louis Guillaume wrote:-

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Once again I have a suspicion that RaidFrame (RAID-1) is causing some
> file system corruption.
>
> I noticed this last year and posted here. But wasn't really able to do
> much troubleshooting. At that time I had a separate raid device for each
> filesystem and swap. After failing all the components on one of the
> disks, the machine ran fine for months. I sync'd the second component
> for the root partition, and it seemed fine. That also ran for months and
> months. A couple of times I attempted to bring on the "/usr" partition's
> second component, and all of a sudden I'd see file system corruption
> (similar to what's described below). As soon as that offending component
> was removed, all was well.
>
> Now I have reverted to my original scenario - One raid device for all
> file systems. As soon as the second component was added to the array, I
> began to see the problems...

Me too.  I had something similar over a year ago - my hardware works
fine with NetBSD (and previously Linux) but as soon as I turned RAID 1
on I got bad file descriptors all over the place, just doing a "cvs up"
with anoncvs.netbsd.org.  I posted about this but no-one really
commented, so I've reverted to using them as two separate disks.  Had
no problems since with the same hardware; I've not tried RAID 1 again.

Neil.