Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 10:57:03
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I haven't tried xorg yet.  What I meant is that the emacs I built with
> the base system X does not depend on anything to indicate it.  So I
> expect (but have not tried) that if I installed it on a system with
> the non-x sets and xorg from pkgsrc that emacs would not work, since
> it will be looking for /usr/X11R6/lib/lib*.so.  That seems like a bug.

Okay, I understand now. I am not sure of the best way to record that
information. Other examples include different versions of libc, libcrypto,
etc.

Currently, our package system does record libraries provided and needed.
Hopefully soon, our pkg_add tool will use this information which may be
partially helpful for this. For example: pkg_add emacs could say "emacs
requires /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2" and fail the installation (by
default).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/