Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 13:41:51
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 09:57:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
> Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
>
> On 7 Jan 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
> > Currently X isn't recorded as a dependency, probably because it is
> > part of the base system.  If xorg doesn't provide the same version
> > shlibs in the same place, this will have to change, or else binary
> > packages could be labeled 'netbsd+xf864' vs 'netbsd+xorg'.
> > We may already have this issue with XF86 3 vs 4.
>
> The Xorg packages from pkgsrc do have a dependency set up. For example,
> xorg-clients-6.8.1nb3 depends on (Requires:) xorg-libs>=6.8.1nb2 (and
> other packages).
>
> Also, by default with pkgsrc, Xorg's libraries are installed to their own
> /usr/pkg/Xorg/lib (and XFree86 is installed elsewhere). You could have X
> installed three times and all should work (using normal methods).

What I meant is

  don't have XF86 installed

  install xorg from pkgsrc

  build emacs, which somehow would link against xorg (with rpath and
  everything)

That emacs package should have recorded a dependency against
xorg-libs.  It's arguably a bug that an emacs package built against
the base system doesn't somehow depend on xf86, but we treat that as
part of the monolithic base system, even though sets are separately
installable (and not installing x, or omitting games, is pretty
normal).