Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 09:57:38
On 7 Jan 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Currently X isn't recorded as a dependency, probably because it is
> part of the base system.  If xorg doesn't provide the same version
> shlibs in the same place, this will have to change, or else binary
> packages could be labeled 'netbsd+xf864' vs 'netbsd+xorg'.
> We may already have this issue with XF86 3 vs 4.

Although the original message from Steven said he built from source, he
later mentioned "pkg" so I assumed this was all from pkgsrc.

The Xorg packages from pkgsrc do have a dependency set up. For example,
xorg-clients-6.8.1nb3 depends on (Requires:) xorg-libs>=6.8.1nb2 (and
other packages).

Also, by default with pkgsrc, Xorg's libraries are installed to their own
/usr/pkg/Xorg/lib (and XFree86 is installed elsewhere). You could have X
installed three times and all should work (using normal methods).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/