Subject: Re: xorg and shared libraries
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2005 11:31:12
In message <Pine.LNX.4.43.0501062226010.27246-100000@pilchuck.reedmedia.net>, "
Jeremy C. Reed" writes:
>On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Staffan Thomen wrote:
>
>> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> > I just set up a machine with only xorg.  That is, I didn't install any
>> > of the X packages from the distribution.  (Well, the CD I built; it's
>> > -current from yesterday.)  I then built xorg from source.  When I try
>> > to run anything -- including such things as xterm -- it tells me that
>> > it can't find things like libX11.so.6.
>
>Did the X server work fine? (And just the xorg-clients had problems?)

The Xserver worked, in that it suddenly put up a high-res background
and the mouse worked.  twm was working, or I couldn't have tried to
fire up failing applications like xterm.  Hmm -- the background was the
right color, which means that 'xsetroot' was working, too.

>Do Xnest and xorgcfg have the correct RPATH?

I don't know what RPATH is, nor xorgcfg -- I configured the system via
'X -configure'.  How do I check this?

>Can either of you file a PR about this?

I will do so when I'm a little clearer on exactly what's happening.  It
occurred to me last night that the problem is even more complex than I
had thought -- any time you're compiling, you presumably need some way
to reference libraries; I'd assume that the Makefiles are pointing to
/usr/X11R6/lib or some such.  (And what will that do to binary packages
built on other machines?)

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb