Subject: Re: High Load / bad response times
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Keil <J.Keil@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/06/2005 16:08:24
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.174/0.195/0.211/0.016 ms
>
> That's two (loaded) NetBSD boxes linked over wm(4) interfaces via
> a gigabit ethernet switch.
There's no switch in my setup. The other box is running freebsd and has
a cheap noname 100mbit nic. The reason why i'm looking at netbsd is that
the problem mainly occurs when using raidframe.

>>-Using a software raid with raidframe makes it even worse
>

> The sender used above is using RAIDframe.
>
> Can you repeat the tests without using cgd(4), please?
Nearly all my test were performed without cgd because i realised pretty
fast that cgd is yet another source of distortion and it even regularly
crashed the box. With this mail i compiled a kernel without cgd but it
didn't make any difference.

Out of curiosity i tried a RAID0 setup with two disks but theres no
difference to the previous RAID5 setup concerning my problem so far.
Is there a way to optimise/prioritise raidframe or the tcp/ip
implemention in the netbsd kernel? I'm not very well versed with this
stuff..

Best Regards.