Subject: Re: LFS documentation?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@hmacs.cmi.ua.ac.be>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/2005 13:14:58
Geert Hendrickx(ghen@hmacs.cmi.ua.ac.be) said 2005.01.05 12:35:53 +0000:
> Can anyone point me to some good LFS (Log-structured File System)
> documentation?  I've searched Google, but it only returns some ancient
> papers.

Some of these "ancient" papers are the papers of Rosenblum et al. which are
the reference papers, and how the FS does on their Sprite OS (if I recall
correctly).
The person who adapted it on NetBSD has the papers here:
	http://www.hhhh.org/perseant/lfs.html

The papers ROSE90, ROSE92 and SELT93 are quite important to read. If you own
the book `The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System'
(ISBN 0-201-54979-4) then read section 8.3, as it should cover most
important things about LFS.

> I think I understand the basics of its design and its benefits, but I'm
> not sure about e.g. its impact on disk space.  Doesn't LFS require much
> more diskspace, since it keeps the entire history of your files on-disk?

The overal effect on disk space should be negligible, however, it does solve
another problem, which is inode shortage.

> GH
	--Wouter