Subject: Re: professional sound studio with netbsd, anyone?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thanos Tsouanas <thanos@sians.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2005 21:27:46
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:24:10AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Pkgsrc works great to provide entire Linux systems -- missing packages can
> be found in pkgsrc-wip.
>
> If you have questions on how to set it up or need ready-to-use Linux
> packages, let me know.

Thanks!

Well, from what i've read the past few days, ALSA is not
emulated on bsd, and rosegarden uses ALSA for it's midi and
also prefers ALSA (in favor of aRts) for it's audio.  Jack is
also recommended.

The rosegarden port in pkgsrc-wip is still lagging behind
(though much newer than the one in pkg-src).

Now, i haven't used netbsd('s pkgsrc)..  But two porting systems
seem quite a reason for a system to be unstable/PITA to
maintain.

Have you done any audio/midi recording in netbsd?  Please let me
know what you have used.
Also, let me know what the strong points (if any) of netbsd VS.
linux are, _regarding audio/midi recording_.  Leave the rest of
the stuff as i'm not a linux fan myself.

Thanks in advance.

--
Thanos Tsouanas <thanos@sians.org> .: Sians
http://thanos.sians.org/           .: http://www.sians.org/