Subject: Re: professional sound studio with netbsd, anyone?
To: Thanos Tsouanas <thanos@sians.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2005 12:04:47
Thanos Tsouanas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:48:40AM +0100, André Braselmann wrote:
>
>>so far there is a special debian/linux distro out there,
>>
>>http://www.agnula.org/
>>
>>There was a review some month ago in the german CT magazine. Seems to be
>>quite 'good', which depends on what you need/want.
>

> Thanks!
>
> The problem with debian/redhat based distros is that 1) i don't
> know where to begin 2) they lack a ports system that would make
> maintenance of music software a breeze.  In the case i decide to
> use linux as a music workstation (which i try to avoid since i
> love bsd --and use it as desktop-- in favor of linux) I think
> i'll go with Gentoo due to it's ports..

Planet CCRMA (http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)
provides pre-packaged MIDI and audio software for RedHat and Fedora Core
Linux. I used it when I had enough room on my laptop to dual boot, and
it was very straightforward to install thiings like Rosegarden. I've
found Debian and Gentoo to be hideous - "Those that do not understand
NetBSD and pkgsrc are condemned to reimplement them poorly".

Chris