Subject: Re: HEADS UP: RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR changed to share/examples/rc.d
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2004 22:25:36
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> The rc.d scripts previously were installed to ${PREFIX}/etc/.  This caused
> confusion, because the "examples" were placed in the "etc" directory.
>
> If you want the examples to be automatically copied into place, set
> PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS to YES, PKG_CONFIG to YES (the default) and
> RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR to the location you want them to be copied to.
>
> RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR defaults to /etc/rc.d. So to have the example rc.d scripts
> copied into /etc/rc.d, simply set PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES in your mk.conf.

Ew.  Why doesn't this default to $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and *enabled* so that
binary packages get something half decent and usable for automatic
inclusion?  I'd really rather not have my rcorder dirs include
/usr/pkg/share/examples/<anything>....

(Or to put it another way:  Why is it even possible to disable copying these
files to an etc/ rooted working directory?  Much like CONF_FILES, they
should always be copied, even if the copy destination path is configurable.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>