Subject: Re: newbie frustration
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/23/2004 15:19:00
Zafer Aydogan(zafer@gmx.org) said 2004.12.23 15:03:56 +0000:
> and a merry Christmas !

Merry Chrismas!

> Sounds easy, but not for me.

Should be easy enough.

> The Installation process:
> I would prefer something like adding users to the system, during the
> Installation process and the possibility to change the keymap, as I am using
> a german Keyboard.

The install process of NetBSD is purely installing the system. The acts you
describe are configuring the installed system. Any such modifications of
sysinst would be much debated.

> And what about setting the hostname? Would be nice.

See above. :)

> And I would like to choose bash as default shell during the installation,
> but this was discussed several times.... (without success).

Touchy issue. Not everybody likes bash. Although I guess with sendmail and
bind being in the default system, one could argue for bash to be included.

> Everything else went fine.

Sweet!

> The machine started installing a few binary packages but after a long time
> (about two hours) the installtion process broke.
> A few error messages occured on my screen, like all the packages which
> couldn't be installed....

What were the errors? Could be any number of reasons for the whole process
to break down.

> I would wish to see the possibility to install a KDE/GNOME, whatever,
> directly from sysinst. during the installation. (from the CD), because not
> everyone got a flatrate.

Assuming your machine is a i386, you can download 3 ISO files containing
every single binary package for NetBSD, which you can just install, and thus
not have to wait for the download.

> Best wishes and a merry Christmas, Zafer.
	--Wouter