Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 problem booting after installation
To: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2004 22:02:13
Michael Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:02:05 +0000
> Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au> wrote:
>
> I have made some progress since I sent this message.
>
> I ran...
>
> installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rwd0d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2
>
> (note rwd0d instead of rwd0a which is normally given as an example)
>
> ...and now the primary bootstrap seems to load. However it can't see /boot:
>
> NetBSD/i386 ffsv2 Primary Bootstrap
> Boot failed (errno  2): Can't open /boot

I saw a similar issue when booting after setting up a
RAID 1 array for /, and having an "extra" partition.

bootxx_ffblah seems to try and boot off an ffs[2] partition if it can
see one, my fix was to use disklabel to unconfigure the extra (empty)
partition.

Sorry I can't be more specific, it was late at night a week ago
and I didn't keep accurate notes.

Carl