Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 problem booting after installation
To: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2004 08:08:22
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:02:05AM +0000, Michael Smith wrote:
> I am looking for a bit of advice on my installation of NetBSD 2.0 i386.
> When I reboot after the installation the BIOS says that there is no operating system on the disk.
>
> If I install NetBSD with support for a second OS the boot loader reports:
>
> Error 3

This means that the first sector of the netbsd partition doesn't contain
the next level boot code.

You should be able to boot the system by interrupting the install boot
and typing 'boot wd0a:', alternatively exit sysinst, mount the filesystem
and chroot into it.

Then run installboot /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 /dev/rwd0a
Note that this assumes that wd0a is at the start of the mbr partition.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk