Subject: Re: disabling IPv6 in Bind9
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/09/2004 22:51:38
  On Dec 09 at 13:57, Todd Vierling spoke:

> Oh, so the real problem is that you're having problems because of broken
> AAAA lookups on your upstream's nameserver?  (Context always helps diagnose
> the problem.)
>
> Try the following in sendmail.mc:
>
> BIND_OPTS(`+AAONLY +WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `+AAONLY +WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')

did help on 2.0_RC4/8.12.11.

However on a 1.6ZK/8.12.9p1 the behavior is still the same. Probably
I need to upgrade Sendmail.

> and regen your .cf file.  This keeps from disabling IPv6 altogether, while
> working around nameservers that cause AAAA lookup breakage.  (The +AAONLY is
> here because that's in the default options, so you need to keep it in your
> override.)

I have no experience with IPv6. So I don't know which are broken
AAAAs and which are correct ones.

> If I've misinterpreted your problem, perhaps it would be better to describe
> what you are *really* trying to accomplish.  "Turning off IPv6 in DNS" is
> vague and may have led to confusion.

Sorry for confusion.

The problem was when an outbound message was submitted to Sendmail
it took some half minute until the message was transfered. Some 8
or so `AAAA smarthost' where issued but none was answered.

-Hanspeter