Subject: Re: disabling IPv6 in Bind9
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/09/2004 13:57:36
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Hanspeter Roth wrote:

> So it seems it depends also on the client. With `ftp' only a single
> AAAA? occurs then following only a couple of A?s.
>
> With sendmail for some seconds a couple of 'AAAA? smarthost' appear.
> With define(`SMART_HOST', `[195.186.4.193]') mail submission is
> much quicker.

Oh, so the real problem is that you're having problems because of broken
AAAA lookups on your upstream's nameserver?  (Context always helps diagnose
the problem.)

Try the following in sendmail.mc:

BIND_OPTS(`+AAONLY +WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')

and regen your .cf file.  This keeps from disabling IPv6 altogether, while
working around nameservers that cause AAAA lookup breakage.  (The +AAONLY is
here because that's in the default options, so you need to keep it in your
override.)

If I've misinterpreted your problem, perhaps it would be better to describe
what you are *really* trying to accomplish.  "Turning off IPv6 in DNS" is
vague and may have led to confusion.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>