Subject: Re: console scrollback ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2004 14:05:19
>Christos Zoulas wrote:
>
>In article <28916.1092138648@www13.gmx.net>,
>Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org> wrote:
>

>>Hello Newsgroup,
>>
>>is there a way to do a scrollback on a NetBSD console?
>>SHIFT+PageUP does not work :/
>>
>>Regards, Zafer.
>>

>left-shift+fn+page-up should work in a current kernel.
>
>christos
>

>What's "fn"? Function keys?

Heja Mailing-List,

Unfortunately, I still can't scroll up on the console or any of the ttyE*
Terminals.
Is there a way to do that, or is it planned to be done ?

The point is, that it is absolutely unflexible, if you get an error during
compiling of a package and you can't scroll up, to see what it was.
Ok, sure I could | tee up every command in a seperate file, but as I said,
it's not flexible.

Which leads me to the second point on my list.
I was in a good mood today and just wanted to install GIMP on one of my
computers, which I use unregulary.

On that computer was installed KDE 3.3.0 and a few other packages. My pkgsrc
tree was updated.
Installing GIMP failed, because of some packages which were already
installed but older than expected.
I thought, ok, just make "make update" and it will update everything....
And it did. Tried to update almost everything including the core KDE
packages but by deinstalling them first. :/
Though, that really messed up the whole system.
I had a similar problem during updating Perl.
Right now, everything is deinstalled, and I have to install everything again
to get it back running and even if I have a quite powerful computer and a
good connection to the internet, I have not the time to wait hours and hours
and hours until really all packages are recompiled.
And now, we come back to the point of flexibility.
I think, not only me, but we, need a packaging system, that works far more
easier and quicker. Like drag and drop or click and go, just install and
run.
I mean it's really frustating, if you like, admire and try to spread the
word on an Operation System that you like, that is so much unflexible and
therefore unusable.

Best Regards, Zafer.