Subject: Re: Manipulating/backing up HFS+ files
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/05/2004 10:40:59
In article <41AFAE87.4050503@berklee.edu>,
	lguillaume@berklee.edu (Louis Guillaume) writes:

> Here we have a regular FFS filesystem, shared up over AFP. So we have
> more than just the data forks stored on the FFS filesystem.
>
> dump, tar, cp et al destroy the resource forks, disassociating them with
> the data forks.
>
> Are there any utilities around for NetBSD that will copy, move, dump
> these files, preserving their resource forks and HFS+ metadata?
>
> Perhaps there's a way to back up such shared directories by copying the
>   disk blocks instead of the filesystem data?

As others have pointed out, in the Apple Double format, the resource
data is simply stored in "hidden" directories, which aren't all that
will hidden -- you'll see them with "ls -a" or as the root user. For
a way to handle those files transparently on the server itself, see
the "apple_mv", "apple_cp" and "apple_rm" utilities shipped with the
netatalk package.

Frederick