Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/03/2004 13:17:46
[ On Tuesday, November 30, 2004 at 16:17:33 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
>
> Uniprocessor machines have nothing to do with the original statement.  The
> point is that MP support is useless in 1.6, so folks wanting to run MP with
> a released version are screwed currently.

Yeah, I figured as much -- which is why I wanted to clarify, especially
since I'm one of those people who now does try to limit myself to
running released versions of NetBSD.  :-)

>  (In 1.6, it's slower than UP at
> times -- when it doesn't fall over altogether under load.)

I don't think the NetBSD/alpha version ever any slower on my AlphaServer
4000, and it hasn't fallen over under any load, heavy or light, since
the last full rebuild with the last of the patches passed around on
port-alpha (though sadly not all those patches are on the official
netbsd-1-6 branch yet).  Maybe since it is so stable again I can make it
go even faster by turning off LOCKDEBUG again, or maybe that's what's
keeping it sable!  ;-)

Of course I don't try to do anything that would require MP thread
handling in a single process -- not that it would help much in 1.6
anyway I suppose.

> I'll say it yet again:  "We can't please all of the people all of the time."

I've no qualms with getting 2.0 out the door -- I think most everyone
worried about production level stability is wary enough to avoid .0
releases anyway.  I just didn't want to let anyone think 1.6 had gone
past its useful EOL already!  ;-)

--
						Greg A. Woods