Subject: Re: Manipulating/backing up HFS+ files
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2004 19:56:47
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 07:08:39PM -0500, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Netatalk Server on NetBSD. Macintosh users mount shared
> directories and store files there.
>
> There is the obvious issue with HFS+ metadata and resource forks.
>
> I've had a look at hfsutils, but that seems to be useful when you
> actually have an HFS filesystem.
>
> Here we have a regular FFS filesystem, shared up over AFP. So we have
> more than just the data forks stored on the FFS filesystem.
>
> dump, tar, cp et al destroy the resource forks, disassociating them with
> the data forks.

That doesn't make any sense.  In an FFS filesystem there only *is* a
"data fork"; the netatalk AFP server stores the resource fork in a
separate file.  So it is certainly not the case that NetBSD's "dump, tar,
cp et al" destroy the resource forks; the "resource forks" were never
there to begin with.

Perhaps you are not copying the separate file that actually contains
the resource fork?

Thor