Subject: Re: netbsd-2-0-RELEASE
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2004 12:18:56
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Sean Davis wrote:
>> accusatory. I'm well aware that NetBSD doesn't have the manpower of
>> the other BSDs for releases and things, I was just voicing my views
>
> Anywhere to get real numbers about this manpower? I'm pretty sure that
> NetBSD has more developers working on releases than all but one other
> BSD.

When I was a Darwin committer, Apple had around sixty people with CVS commit
access to the Darwin/MacOS X CVS repo, although I imagine that's grown.

Also, please see:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/index.html

Since it may not be easy to count these in the HTML format, this works out to
358 FreeBSD committers, and 3400+ contributors who do not have CVS commit
access but are typically responsible for some area (port maintainers would be
a common example).

I don't think numbers tell the whole story, since how do you judge the value
of work done by John Dyson versus that of Theo de Raadt, or Robert Watson
versus Wilfredo Sanchez, or Steve Bellovin versus the tag-team of William
Jolitz and Matt Dillon?  :-)

--
-Chuck