Subject: It works!
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/22/2004 19:14:38
Hello everyone,

I got the Sparc the boot over ethernet now.
It turned out that I had named the bootloader incorrectly - tftpd was
spitting out lots
of errors. Had I just taken a look at /var/log/messages earlier. I have
to keep on reminding
myself of that.

Then it turned out that NFS wasn't working properly if configured as
stated in the HOWTO.
When my /etc/exports looked as shown in the HOWTO, with paths adjusted,
I got the following error:
Nov 20 21:39:32 wintermute mountd[589]: "/usr/local/sparc/usr
-maproot", line 8: Can't change attributes for /usr/local/sparc/usr to

I got it to work with a little tweaking, and NetBSD 2.0-RC5 is now
running happily on that machine.
It crashed a few times at first, but I removed the second CPU - which I
was suspecting to be broken
in the first place - and now it appears to be stable. =)

Thanks to everyone for helping me. This was sure fun, although the sparc
is *so* slow now it's hardly
bearable; and it was not exactly fast to begin with... So I'm going to
get a quiet harddrive for that machine,
and maybe a second CPU that works.
On the other hand, I begin to realize what a killer that machine must
have been by the time it was built.

Kind regards,
Benjamin