Subject: Re: Sparc questions
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/19/2004 12:32:02
Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
[ ... ]
>> The noise you're getting is probably from one of the 1GB Seagate Baracuda
>> drives that shipped with these machines.
>
> There's a 2GB Baracuda inside, maybe it's been replaced.
> It's *definitely* the cause of the noise. At startup, before the HDD is
> turned on, the machine is pretty quiet. =)
[ ... ]
> That's good to know, I'll see if I can find a quiet harddrive,

Sun seemed to pick Seagate and the IBM Ultrastar drives, which tended to
perform well be but very noisy.  Try to hunt down a Maxtor or Western Digital
18GB instead.  I've got a WDE-183 (10K RPM, ?8MB cache?) that's much quieter
compared to the SEAGATE-ST336704LC or OEMed as SUN18G.

--
-Chuck