Subject: Re: Sparc questions
To: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/19/2004 17:18:27
Hello,

Gary Parker wrote:

>Hey Benjamin...I've been running Linux and NetBSD on SPARCs for a few years
>now and absolutely love them for their reliablity.

To be honest, I am mainly fascinated by all kinds of exotic hardware. =)
But I've already heard that Sun hardware seems to be very reliable,
which never hurts,
of course. =)

>The noise you're getting is probably from one of the 1GB Seagate Baracuda
>drives that shipped with these machines.

There's a 2GB Baracuda inside, maybe it's been replaced.
It's *definitely* the cause of the noise. At startup, before the HDD is
turned on,
the machine is pretty quiet. =)

> They are *seriously* noisy (really
>high pitched whining sound?) and not particularly fast for that matter so
>you'd do well to scrounge a replacement for it from somewhere.

Well I don't mind the speed really, the machine is - compared to my
desktop PC - so
damn slow it doesn't really matter, anyway. =)
But that noise... It sounds like something in between a circular saw and
a dentist's drill.

> I've got a
>couple of 9GB IBM DDRS drives in mine now and (relatively) quiet.

That's good to know, I'll see if I can find a quiet harddrive,

Kind regards,
Benjamin