Subject: RE: Sparc questions
To: 'Benjamin Walkenhorst' <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/19/2004 09:28:38

Hey Benjamin...I've been running Linux and NetBSD on SPARCs for a few years
now and absolutely love them for their reliablity.

The noise you're getting is probably from one of the 1GB Seagate Baracuda
drives that shipped with these machines. They are *seriously* noisy (really
high pitched whining sound?) and not particularly fast for that matter so
you'd do well to scrounge a replacement for it from somewhere. I've got a
couple of 9GB IBM DDRS drives in mine now and (relatively) quiet.

Gary