Subject: Re: 2.0rc4 unstability
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/19/2004 09:44:34
--nextPart1562661.JPRJdiTn7s

On Friday 19 November 2004 07:48, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:11:26PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have whined about 2.0 problems and I still do :-I  Both my desktop
> > machine and laptop freeze (probably panic; I should really configure
> > serial consoles for all machines and build a nest of serial cables)
> > every now and then.
> >
> > My desktop system repeatedly freezes when I use gimp to save an image
> > to a local disk (at least when I save to the same partition where the
> > gimp temp file is).  This machine also froze when I tried to print a
> > PS file from a remote machine to an USB printer connected to this
> > machine.  (I haven't seen this one more than once, but I don't really
> > use a printer all that much.)
> >
> > My laptop freezes easily when watching a DVD using xine and moving the
> > mouse pointer into the xine control window.
> >
> > A friend's machine froze when he killed an xterm.
> >
> > I don't know if 2.0rc4 is stable for all other people in the world,
> > but it's the most unstable NetBSD release (well, not a release just
> > yet) that I have ever used (sinze 0.9c on Amiga).  1.6 was rock solid
> > on the same machines.
>
> I have switched several production boxes to 2.0. Some are SMP, some use
> softdeps (and some use both :). I've yet to see one of them crash.

In aid of Jukka, my laptop crashes on occasions during the night after arou=
nd=20
3:00am most propably whilst running the system maintenance scripts. The=20
system seizes rock solid and doesn't response to any local or remote access=
=20
attempts.

Sysinfo:

husky: {1} uname -a
NetBSD husky 2.99.10 NetBSD 2.99.10 (HUSKY-acpi) #0: Mon Nov 15 02:12:30 CS=
T=20
2004  wulf@husky:/sys/arch/i386/compile/HUSKY-acpi i386

cheerio Berndt