Subject: trying to get data off an old 1/4" tape
To: None <netbsd-users@Netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/18/2004 15:14:41
I'm trying to get some data off an old 1/4" tape.  I located a couple
of drives that are probably correct, dug up an old SCSI card, and
plugged everything together.  Here's how things scan:

st0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, VIPER 150  21247, -005> tape removable
st0: rogue, drive empty
st0: async, 8-bit transfers
st1 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, VIPER 150  21531, -003> tape removable
st1: rogue, drive empty
st1: async, 8-bit transfers

(this is on 2.0rc5.)  Note that it says that both drives are empty --
in fact, the tape was in one of them.

When I first tried querying the status via mt(1), I got this:

# mt -t /dev/enrst0 status
SCSI tape drive, residual=24
ds=0
er=2<>
blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
density: 0 (0, 16, 15, 5)
current file number: -1
current block number: -1

The only other command I found that produced anything other than "Input/
output error" was "offline"; after I did it, I got

# mt -t /dev/enrst0 status
SCSI tape drive, residual=24
ds=0
er=2<>