Subject: Re: 2.0rc4 unstability
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/18/2004 11:27:39
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:16:27AM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Well, our server works OK, too, but the interactively used machines are
> having problems.

I use this machine also as my desktop.

> I guess gimp uses memory and disk pretty heavily and xine appears to
> use threads (which aren't used by gcc, for example).

I also run Mozilla, MPlayer and MLdonkey on this box.

> I did that now (even at kernel level, I think editing fstab wasn't
> enough (tried that before)).

It was enough when I turned them off a while ago because of PR kern/26435.

> I think it's ok:

Yes, it looks good. But your swap partition is really oversize. I wonder
if you have performance and stability problems because too much of the
kernel memory is wasted for managing it. I think you can reduce amount
of that partition which is really used for swap via "fstab". You should
perhaps try that. My system uses 2.5GB swap on top of 1GB physical memory.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/