Subject: Re: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/07/2004 16:16:33
[ On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 at 20:18:14 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
>
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> >
> > Another issue is it frequently runs out of shmem. Not sure if it is leaking,
> > or just never releasing it. This is noticable when you view photoshop
> > competitions and so on. Increasing shmem in your kernel config (or gdb your
> > kernel) improves this. "ipcs -m" shows you used memory IIRC. This becomes a
> > bigger burden if you use X11vnc/x0rfbserver as well.
>
> That's interesting. I've already bumped shmem to 32Mb on all my X log
> hosts, so maybe that accounts for my better luck with the random crashes?

Hmmm...  is this shared memory y'all are talking about entirely held and
used by the Xserver?  I.e. would it affect a remote X11 server, e.g. an
NCD Xterm?

Mozilla is still the one application that can run out of resources and
crash itself on my NCD HMx which now has 75MB of RAM installed.

Mozilla will still crash under similar circumstances that Jorgen
mentions (e.g. paging through photo albums), even when the "Show Memory"
graph suggests there was well over 32MB of free space still available.
(I'm assuming it's a particular type of memory use that runs out and the
NCD's memory management is less than ideal -- e.g. it may be reserving
too much for fonts or some such.)

Previously with only about 40MB of RAM installed it would crash much
sooner, and much more often, even without visiting any large images.

--
						Greg A. Woods