Subject: Authorization en masse
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/06/2004 15:18:01
Hello,

I have a situation where there is a NetBSD file server running AFP
services via Netatalk, but all the users for whom this service must be
available are stored in an Open Directory (OD) database.

The questions are: On NetBSD...

1. Must I create a local user account for each user (for authorization
purposes) if the authentication is to be done via Kerberos? (OD can be a
KDC).

2. If the answer to "1" is "yes": is there software out there that will
automatically import the user accounts to the local user database? Or
will we have to do a script with "useradd"?

3. Has anyone had any success with such a scheme (involving a NetBSD
fileserver) that would be willing to help out?

... The idea is that the Netatalk/NetBSD server will share up the Mac OS
X users' home directories. As they log in at the login window they
retrieve a tgt and a service ticket for the afp service on NetBSD,
allowing them to mount their home directory.

Any help would be great.

Louis