Subject: RE: Exim with Exiscan
To: 'Mirko Thiesen' <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
From: Steve Brown <steve@daedilus.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/06/2004 10:08:43
Hi Mirko,

> You really should edit the default configuration - it does
> almost definitely not suit your needs. Maybe Exim doesn't
> even start with just the default configuration in place ...

Well, it did start (see below) but it doesn't work.  That's fine, because I
can handle using manuals to suss out configuration files!

> This is how your mailer.conf should look like:

> #       $NetBSD: mailer.conf.exim,v 1.2 2003/09/02 10:33:41 abs Exp $

It did - I configured that by using the very file you have posted! :)

> Did you set
> exim=YES               exim_flags="-bd -q15m"
> in /etc/rc.conf? If yes, have a look at the various logfiles

No I had not.  Following another similar suggestion I received by email
only, I have set exim=YES in the /etc/rc.conf, and copied the
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/exim file to /etc/rc.d/  This now loads up exim (hurrah!).

> located under /var/log/exim and post any error messages
> you'll find there.

They now currently inform me that exim has no clue who or what is local etc.
As before, this is fine as I can work from here, now I know I am able to
test it.

> When you actually manage to start Exim, you should have a
> look at http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/. Tor Slettnes
> describes quite a lot of anti-spam techniques in this
> document (even though probably not everything he writes can
> be applied to your scenario). It is a very good starting
> point, and the greylisting stuff really gets you rid of
> almost 100% of the spam.

Sounds good to me, and I'll certainly go and have a look at that in due
course.

Thanks for the help (knew it was something daft!)

Steve Brown

---