Subject: Re: file system info tool?
To: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/06/2004 10:25:46
On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 12:42:54PM +0100, Markus W Kilbinger wrote:
|What about
|
|  [man] dumpfs

That does exactly what I need, thanks ... :)

It's funny, I have been in the tar camp for dumping filesystems, so I
had no idea dump could do that sort of thing and didn't even consider it.

It makes sense in retrospect since it's much more intimate with the
filesystem than tar could ever be by its very nature ... *sigh* ...

... which brings me to the point of asking: at the risk of starting a
flame war, what are the relative merits of dump over tar?

My main reason for avoiding dump was that I was under the impression
that if you had an environment with more than one architecture/OS/fs
type then each required it's own version of dump - the output of which
weren't interoperable, whereas tar was pretty much universal.

Are there any benefits which outweigh this problem?

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences