Subject: Re: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
To: None <fredb@NetBSD.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/2004 10:08:04
I find mozilla being unstable if you compile in unmodified.

I posted about the DNS settings 28/01/04, for some reason our getaddrinfo() do
not appear to be thread safe, or at least it can (easily) stall forever. I found
if I take out "_PR_HAVE_GETADDRINFO" in ./nsprpub/pr/include/md/_netbsd.h it
run _a lot_ better. Even with NetBSD 2.0 RC4.

Another issue is it frequently runs out of shmem. Not sure if it is leaking, or
just never releasing it. This is noticable when you view photoshop competitions
and so on. Increasing shmem in your kernel config (or gdb your kernel) improves
this. "ipcs -m" shows you used memory IIRC. This becomes a bigger burden if you
use X11vnc/x0rfbserver as well.

Apart from those two, 1.7.3 has been very stable.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)