Subject: mozilla very unstable on 2.0rc4
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/2004 00:52:14
Hello folks,

anyone else seeing this?

Mozilla 1.7.3 seems to be _extremely_ unstable on 2.0rc4 (i386).  Here,
it crashes every couple minutes, sometimes more often, without any
recognizable pattern.  Even when it's doing trivial things, or just
sitting there and idling.  I mean, it's a long learned lesson that
Mozilla may crash every now and then, although that has become quite
rare with newer Mozilla releases, but I've never seen a situation when
it is as bad as it was now.  Not even in the heyday Netscape 4 days.
For comparison, the same version on FC2 Linux and WinXP runs very
stable.  Unfortunately, the core file isn't really helpful, the trace
always looks more or less like the following:

#0  0x486a4feb in kill () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#1  0x486c31a8 in raise () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
#2  0x4bd021e9 in nsProfileLock::FatalSignalHandler(int) ()
    from /usr/pkg/lib/mozilla-gtk2/components/libprofile.so
#3  0x4867fc73 in pthread__signal_deferred () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0

Do others also experience this?  Or are my .mozilla profiles broken in
some way that cause it to misbehave so grossly?  Could it be some
badness with the new scheduler activations stuff and the pthread lib?

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de