Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0rc4 without removable media
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org, Patrick Walsh <pjwalsh@gmail.com>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2004 14:43:56
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 14:30, Patrick Walsh wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade to the latest and greatest NetBSD now in
> anticipation of the final release.  The install documentation suggests
> that I need to have boot floppies or a bootable cd-rom to do this.
> Unfortunately I need to do this from a remote location.  Even if I
> were at the computer, it has no floppy or cd-rom drives and I'd like
> to avoid the messiness of removing the server from the rack and
> attaching a drive.
>
> So... can I upgrade from 1.6 to 2.0 without using removable media?
> I've grabbed the files in
> ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200410100000/i386/binary/,
> but am hesitating to try anything.
>
> If it is possible to do what I want to do, what steps should I take?

First of all, get 2.0 GENERIC kernel and install it instead of your current
kernel (copy it to /netbsd). And reboot. If you'r lucky and all is fine
you'll get 2.0 kernel and 1.6. userland. From my experience on i368,
2.x/-current kernels work just fine with older userlands like 1.6.1 or 1.6.2.

Of course do not forget to make a backup copy of your current 1.6 kernel in
root like cp /netbsd /onetbsd. So you can bring up manually old kernel of
smth goes wrong.

// wbr