Subject: Re: very weird problem with mplayer and XFree86 on a Thinkpad...
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/20/2004 14:10:26
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Steve Bellovin wrote:

> I'm not sure where to post this, but since it happend on a NetBSD
> system I'll start here...  My daughter has a Thinkpad running 2.0beta
> with XFree86 4.4.0.  With the machine connected via a port replicator
> to an external monitor, she tried viewing something with mplayer.
> The movie showed up on the laptop screen; on the external monitor, all
> she saw was a blue square.  I didn't even know that was possible!

mplayer is probably using XV video extension.

Try:
  mplayer -vo help

This should make it use normal X11:

 mplayer -vo X11

(But has worse performance.)

Or configure your XFree86 for video overlay. I don't know how. If you have
a radeon, have a look in radeon(4) man page.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/