Subject: RE: wi Troubles
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Harding <iharding@tpchd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2004 10:54:47
To: Ian Harding <iharding@tpchd.org>
From: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2004 12:28:35

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Ian Harding wrote:

> I have a EnGenius NL-2511CD PLUS card in my laptop which has been
> working fine for a long time with NetBSD 1.6.2.  I upgraded to 2.0
RC4.
> The install system recognized and configured the wi card, fired up
> dhclient and I downloaded the sets with it.
>
> When I boot from the 2.0 RC4 install, the card is found by the kernel,
> the light comes on, but dhclient does not get any offers, wiconfig wi0
> -D finds no access point, manual configuration with ifconfig doesn't
> work.
>
> I assume a default option has changed and I need to tweak with
"ifconfig
> wi0 mediaopt <something>."
>
> Can anyone please throw some light into the dark room I am in?
> Thanks!!!
>
> Ian

Hm, this is strange since the NL 2511 is the same card as my Senao
SL-2511 CD EXT2. This card works perfectly (access point scanning with
"wiconfig wi0 -D" with RC1). It did NOT work with a former current (was
1.6ZG I think).

Can you post the dmesg?

-Florian

Apologies for my lame email client and the fact that I am not receiving
the list messages to reply to.  I am working it.

The problem turned out to be that the GENERIC and GENERIC_LAPTOP have
these lines in their config
# CardBus bridge support
cbb*            at pci? dev ? function ?
cardslot*       at cbb?

# CardBus bus support
cardbus*        at cardslot?
pcmcia*         at cardslot?

INSTALL does not.  All I had to do was comment these out and rebuild my
kernel and all is well.

Just for information, the machine is a DELL XPI CD.  Why would including
unneccesary support in a kernel break something?  Anyway, I am happy
now, and this message will hopefully help someone else with this type of
crusty old machine.

Ian