Subject: Suggestion for sysinst
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2004 19:42:05
--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

Good evening,

I was wondering today if it would not be too hard to have the releng
build scripts automatically pick the releng base dir in which the sysinst
floppies will land, as well and insert that as the default basedir.

Right now you have to write down ugly directories like
/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200410130000/i386/binary/sets
and type them over in the installer when installing.  I find this quite
annoying and it's also quite easy to make typos here.  IMHO the scripts
should have access to the basedir where the build will end up, so I don't
see why this isn't automatically written to the hardwired default setting.

I've seen many people on IRC recommend installing 2.0 BETA, even to beginni=
ng
users.  Those users might find it very confusing that the default doesn't
work because the directory doesn't even exist.  (the default directory and
server is where the sets will end up once the version will be actually
released, and that doesn't exist in the BETA/RC stadium)

Maybe I'm missing something, but if it can be easily implemented, why not?
Just a suggestion.

Regards,
Peter
--=20