Subject: Re: Squid vs. WWWOffle vs. ...?
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Eric Fox <eric@bsdsystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2004 11:03:48
Squid is easy to use as a caching proxy and can pretty much be used "out
of the box."  If you want to do user authentication or ads filtering or
such, it takes a bit more effort to configure, but you should be able to
get it up and running within a few minutes.

I've used WWWOffle, but not as a caching proxy.  When I build systems that
reside behind an authenticating proxy, WWWOffle is one of the first
packages I install because it can be easily configured to pass my
username/password to the up-stream proxy when making requests.  I then set
http_proxy and ftp_proxy environment variables to localhost for building
further packages.  This can probably be done with Squid too, I just found
that, for me, WWWOffle worked easier for this solution.

---
  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ Small Business Computer Support
 \.\   /./ in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area
    \@/    http://www.bsdsystems.com/
.