Subject: Squid vs. WWWOffle vs. ...?
To: NetBSD-Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2004 17:05:59
Hello everyone,

I think about setting up a caching proxy on my local network.
I know of two free proxies available for BSD, Squid and WWWOffle.

Are there any other solutions I should consider?
What are the pros and cons of Squid and WWWOffle? Squid, I hear, is hard
to configure.

Any remarks?
Does anyone use one of these solutions and can tell about good or bad
experiences?

It would also be nice - but not neccessary - to tell the proxy for
individual pages/servers how long to keep items in cache (so news pages
are refreshed more often). Or to tell the proxy to refresh certain sites
in cache automatically in given intervals and server them entirely from
cache...
OTOH I don't want to spend endless hours setting this thing up - I
mainly want a web cache.

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin