Subject: Re: ia64 support
To: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/11/2004 12:37:50
Sascha Retzki said:

>Even if we are not yet (able to) implement support for that, it would be
>worth mentioning on http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/#not-yet-integrated ?

>Somebody mailed me that he has a paper of it, so I guess there is either
>effort in implementing support for it and there are just machines missing,
>right?

There will probably be nothing to support. HP, the primary vendor of ia64
systems, will not be building any more itanic workstations or small servers.
Instead, they are supporting AMD64.

It is expected that OpenVMS will run on itanic systems, but there is little
mainstream interest in the chip. They would have been better off continuing
research on the Alpha.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com