Subject: netscape7 and java plugin
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Pritesh <shahpritesh_email@excite.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/08/2004 14:24:49
hi,

Browser: Netscape7
Sun Java: 1.4.2

I'm trying to enable java plugin for netscape 7. I have the plugin loaded and linked properly according to the manual instructions given at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-linux.html#plugin

i have three options for plugins:

a) <javajre-path>/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so

b)
<javajre-path>/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
This does not work as it fails to start the browser itself due to some
INTERNAL ERROR on browser end.

c)
<javajre-path>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
Here the plugin itself is not loaded as this error suggests:
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
<path-to-java>/java/sun-1.4/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so [libgcc_s.so.1:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

i think this may be due to gcc s version incompatibility, as i have gcc 2.9.5 and this requires gcc 3.2.x. There's a package lang/gcc3 for updating gcc, but was wondering how to compile my netscape7 and java using the latest gcc.

I'm kind of lost on what to do now? It would be great if somebody can
help me in resolving this out.

Cheers,
Pritesh.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com